Aptiv is a global technology leader, with more than 180,000 people across 124 manufacturing facilities and 12 major technical centers worldwide. With a presence in 44 countries, they address mobility’s toughest challenges through our deep software and systems integration expertise, delivering market relevant solutions for their customers.
Aptiv is supported by a lean and agile global IP team that fosters the company’s innovation, whilst aligning its patent strategy with the company’s commercial aims. Further to this, the team designs solutions for avoiding infringement risks and supports due diligence for transactions in an increasingly acquisitive automotive market and more.
Following the recent re-organisation of business division support Aptiv is seeking to hire a new patent counsel to support the company in its continued growth and focus on innovation in Dublin. You will join a team of senior IP colleagues led by David Goodfellow, spread across Europe, the United States, and China who bring prior experience from the likes of Amazon, Guardian, and Infineon. The team is supported by further IP paralegal and support staff.
The successful candidate will primarily be responsible for supporting research and development in Europe for the company’s Advanced Safety & User Experience business in Wuppertal, Germany and Krakow, Poland. However, there are no firm lines and division of duties. Exposure to the research and development teams in the United States and Asia Pacific is also on offer.
Key responsibilities will therefore include:
- IP awareness raising, building a strong cultural connection with R&D conducive to a proactive IP strategy.
- Invention harvesting, through regular travel to R&D sites and the establishment of effective disclosure processes.
- Strategic counselling, including guiding the business through freedom to operate challenges on projects you serve as the IP contact for.
- Outside counsel management, on an international basis to ensure the effective drafting and prosecution of Aptiv patents in alignment with departmental strategy.
Further responsibilities may include, but not be limited to:
- Conducting oppositions proceedings, in conjunction with outside counsel, both to defend Aptiv’s patents and on occasion to oppose applications of competitors.
- Supporting on transactions, including due diligence for acquisition targets, reviewing IP clauses of contractual agreements with Aptiv customers, or in-licensing IP portfolios.
- Supporting on litigation, if IP infringement issues arise as the automotive industry continues to evolve.
We want to hear from European patent attorneys with a background in physics, computer science, electrical engineering. Prior in-house experience is preferred but not necessary: if you have the aptitude and desire to adapt to in-house life after several years in a law firm, the department is open to supporting you in making that career transition.
Given future trends in the automotive industry, attorneys with practical experience in the semiconductor or telecommunications industries could be of particular interest. Most crucial, though, is a demonstrable passion for the ongoing innovation in the automotive sector.
The successful candidate will therefore possess:
- Full qualification as a European Patent Attorney.
- A strong academic background in physics or electrical/mechanical engineering.
- Practical IP experience of software and/or electrical/mechnical subject matter.
- Fluency in English.
- An aptitude for the commercial considerations behind IP, beyond the mere drafting and prosecution of patents.
The successful candidate will also ideally possess:
- Experience in software patent matters.
- Experience in post-grant work, of a transactional or contentious nature.
- German language skills would also be advantageous.