Sanofi works to understand and solve healthcare needs of people across the world and its ambition for 2025 is to be a top 3 innovative, global and diversified human healthcare company. Its large workforce of 100,000 staff across 100 countries worldwide has allowed it to achieve a consistent and dense pipeline as well as a diverse, numerous product range. Sanofi has been able to turn out consistently robust financial results with €36.1 billion in revenue recorded in 2019. The most impressive aspect of these results is the company’s proof of commitment to innovation with a remarkable 16.6% of revenue being reinvested into its 84 current R&D projects – 34 of which are in Phase 3 or submitted for approval.
Sanofi acquired Ablynx in early 2018 expanding its late stage pipeline and strengthening its platform for growth in rare blood disorders, whilst boosting further investment and accelerating the commercial development of Ablynx’s pipeline.
Ablynx is at the leading edge of Nanobody technology – a novel class of proprietary next generation biologicals, combining the advantages of conventional antibody drugs with some of the features of small-molecule drugs. The Nanobody platform is supporting a deep pipeline of more than 45 proprietary and partnered candidates for a wide range of therapeutic areas such as hematology, inflammation, immuno-oncology and respiratory diseases.
Reporting directly to Head of Biologics Patents, the Counsel – Biologics Patents will handle all aspects of patent protection – advising on wide range of intellectual property matters, including invention harvesting, managing outside counsel on patent preparation and prosecution, worldwide patent portfolio management, overall IP strategy, patentability, and freedom-to-operate analyses.
The key candidate requirements for the position are:
- Graduate degree (MSc / PhD) in a biological or biochemistry science, a PhD would be a plus;
- Qualified European patent attorney;
- 5 to 8 years minimum of patent law experience, preferably gained in a corporate environment or a reputable IP law firm;
- A motivated self-starting person exhibiting initiative to contribute to the team in more ways than mere handling of assigned projects;
- Ability to work in a team within an international professional network and interact with colleagues in other countries;
- Fluent in English; knowledge of Flemish would be advantageous.