InterDigital is one of the world’s largest pure research, innovation, and licensing companies. Founded in 1972, the company’s leadership in wireless, video, AI and emerging technologies enables and enhances the devices and connected industries of tomorrow.
The company solves many of the industry’s most critical and complex technical challenges, providing solutions for more efficient broadband networks and a richer multimedia experience years ahead of market deployment. Every year, 20% of annual revenue is committed to R&D and the company has invested more than $1 billion in 5G alone.
With a global research organisation and key centers of competence in the United States, France, Canada, and the UK, the company has leadership representation in critical global standards organisations like 3GPP, ITU, and MPEG.
As part of a dynamic expansion of the Patent Licensing business, the company has created a new position – Director, Senior Licensing Support Attorney within the Legal department. Working as a member of the Licensing Support and Analysis team, the successful candidate will play a pivotal role in supporting InterDigital’s out-licensing activities arising from innovation in the field of video standards and/or other OTT-related technologies.
The successful candidate will represent InterDigital in patent technical discussions with prospective licensees, coordinate with the licensing team on patent licensing strategies, and provide patent-specific guidance to the enforcement team. In addition, the successful candidate will collaborate with patent portfolio managers, patent prosecution teams, and other internal stakeholders to identify and develop patents and corresponding technical materials for licensing purposes.
The key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Develop patent licensing strategies in cooperation with the license negotiation team.
- Select patents for presentation to prospective licensees and lead technical discussions including written and oral technical responses.
- Review and/or develop patent claim charts and technical presentations for licensing use, primarily for licensing Over-the-Top (OTT) service providers.
- Work with patent strategy and prosecution teams to enhance InterDigital’s OTT-focused patent portfolio, including participation in patent mining and review activities.
- Collaborate with licensing support leads and infringement analysis engineers to develop customer-specific licensing materials.
- Assist the patent enforcement team with identification, evaluation, and technical understanding of select patents.
- Maintain proficiency in OTT-related technologies and standards such as streaming video.
- Remain current with case law and legal issues related to patent licensing.
- Collaborate with corporate development group to evaluate patent acquisition opportunities.
- Provide regular reporting to senior management on patent licensing discussions, licensing materials, and portfolios.
The successful candidate is likely to fulfil the following criteria:
- JD degree (or equivalent) required.
- Engineering degree in electrical engineering, physics, computer science, or a related field of study.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in patent prosecution, licensing and/or enforcement, preferably with video standards, and/or other OTT-related technologies.
- Experienced in presenting patent claim charts in licensing negotiations.
- Proficient working knowledge of video streaming technologies and standards such as HEVC, AV1, VP9, and HDR.
- Strong overall understanding of licensing-focused patent prosecution and/or portfolio development.
- Strong collaboration skills and experience working in a cross-functional team.
- Diligent, self-driven, and highly organised.
- Ability to effectively prioritise and work on multiple projects.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Regular (20%) domestic and international travel may be required.