Ericsson was founded on the premise of enabling communication as a basic human need, something more crucial now than ever before. Carrying some 40% of the world’s mobile traffic today, Ericsson enjoys an unrivalled position as the market leader within the mobile networks industry. Ericsson Technology, implemented in all smartphones worldwide, pushes the boundaries of how we all experience and use technologies in our daily lives.
With the growing importance of antenna technology, Ericsson has recently expanded its in-house antenna competence and capabilities through the acquisition of Kathrein Mobile Communication’s antenna and filters business, an important step in the execution of Ericsson’s Networks portfolio strategy. Kathrein, a world leading provider of antenna and filter technologies has long been a valued supplier to Ericsson. Together, Ericsson and Kathrein now have one of the strongest combined antenna system patent portfolios in the industry.
This additional expertise will bring vital competence necessary to evolve radio access products, helping broaden Ericsson’s antenna and radio system offering and further optimise site space, which is vital for the introduction of 5G.
The incoming attorney will be dealing with high-profile technology chiefly in the areas of 5G, Networks and Antenna Systems. The Radio Systems team comprises legacy R&D professionals from Kathrein Mobile Communications, as well as senior IP professionals from Ericsson’s key site in Gothenburg, Sweden. Ericsson is therefore seeking an additional experienced patent attorney to support Kathrein’s ongoing integration, and the significant growing workload of the team.
Key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- ldentifying and protecting patentable inventions, working in close cooperation with R&D
- Handling and deciding on patent applications including drafting, filing and prosecuting patent applications in multiple countries;
- Assessing and navigating the desired extent of patent protection;
- Providing advice on validity, relevance and scope of both Ericsson and third-party patents;
- Managing patent portfolios and making sure that quality is secured for standard essential patents (SEPs) and implementation patents;
- Preparing claim charts;
- Investigating and supporting technical discussions for licensing and patent sales opportunities;
The successful candidate should fulfil the following criteria:
- Be educated in telecommunications, electrical engineering, physics, computer science or a related field;
- Be a fully qualified European, US or Chinese Patent Attorney;
- Ideally possess understanding of and experience within 3G, 4G and/or 5G standardisation and/or mobile phone/system implementation. Knowledge in the field of radio access network/ antenna systems also an advantage;
- Show commercial awareness and interest in Ericsson’s technologies and future aims;
- Possess strong organisational, multi-tasking and negotiation skills, be accurate, flexible and able to work well in an immediate and wider team;
- Be fluent in German and English.