Ericsson enjoys an unparalleled position as a market leader within the mobile networks industry, particularly at the forefront of 5G innovation. Ericsson Technology, implemented in all smartphones worldwide, pushes the boundaries of how we all experience and use technology in our daily lives. Ericsson is the driving force behind the Networked Society, where every person and every industry is empowered to reach their full potential. Mobility, broadband and the cloud are transforming the world, enabling industries and society to provide better services, capture new opportunities, improve businesses, increase efficiency, and create new user experiences.
As a technology-driven company, the creation and protection of a commercially orientated patent portfolio is crucial to the maintenance of Ericsson’s leading market position. Given the continuous and growing stream of innovation, particularly within the 5G space, Ericsson enjoys a highly active IP and licensing culture which exposes attorneys to all aspects of the patent life cycle. With an eye for maintaining their IP excellence, Ericsson is looking for a patent attorney to join their team in Gothenburg. They will play an important role in helping identify and realise the commercial value of IP assets stemming from the local R&D function, focusing upon RAN technologies alongside their core technology groups.
The specific responsibilities the role entails may be summarised as follows:
- Identifying and protecting patentable inventions, working in close cooperation with inventors from Research & Development;
- Handling and deciding on patent applications including drafting, filing and prosecuting patent applications in multiple countries;
- Assessing and navigating the desired extent of patent protection;
- Providing advice on validity, relevance and scope of both Ericsson and third-party patents;
- Managing patent portfolios and making sure that quality is secured for the company’s standard essential patents (SEPs) and implementation patents;
- Preparing claim charts;
- Investigating and supporting in technical discussions for licensing and sales opportunities for Ericsson’s patents;
- Continuously improving the ways of working within the above areas.
This is an equal opportunity appointment. Any biased reference in the text is made merely for the sake of brevity and convenience.
The successful candidate is likely to fulfil the following criteria:
- Master of Science or Ph.D. in a relevant technical field such as electronic engineering, applied physics, computer science, or ICT;
- Full qualification as European (or suitably regionally qualified) Patent Attorney, with some post-qualification experience. Consideration will also be given to appropriate near-qualified candidates demonstrating significant commercial IP understanding or having a background in R&D combined with a high interest in IPR;
- Ideally possesses an understanding of, and holds experience within 4G and/or 5G standardisation and/or mobile phone/system implementation. Knowledge in the field of radio access network/antennae is also an advantage;
- Very good written and spoken English as the working language of the company;
- Shows commercial awareness and interest in Ericsson’s technologies and future aims;
- Good analytical and interpersonal skills;
- Have a solution-orientated working style;
- Be an excellent communicator, able to convey information to professionals at all levels and across different business areas.