Launched in Sweden in August 2018, Voi is a leading micro-mobility company, offering electric scooter sharing in partnership with over 50 cities and local communities around Europe.
As consumers look for new alternatives to move around Europe’s biggest cities in a convenient, sustainable, quick, and safe way, new communities across the Region are opening up to e-scooter mobility solutions. Voi has become one of Europe’s preferred operators, winning over two-thirds of city license tenders and leading in fleet efficiency across top micro-mobility markets, including the UK, Scandinavia, Germany, Switzerland, France, Italy, and Spain.
In order to support Voi’s growth plans and international expansion, the company is looking to grow its in-house Legal function through hiring a dedicated senior lawyer supporting the Public Policy Unit and the Tender Management Teams. As cities are introducing licensing and tendering for micro-mobility, these teams seize commercial opportunities by monitoring, planning, and writing tender submissions and license applications. The Unit is responsible for building and managing relationships with key city and Government stakeholders, public transport operators, and authorities. It supports the Regional General Management Teams in winning city tenders and works with third parties to help Voi realise its vision and deliver a safe and sustainable product.
Reporting directly to the General Counsel, the successful candidate will play a strategic role in Voi’s development and international expansion. As this is a new role within Voi, the Group Legal Counsel will have the opportunity to form and shape how he/she can add value and make a wider contribution to the organisation. The successful candidate will be a key player in realising Voi’s vision of “Cities made for living, free from noise and pollution” and will work in close collaboration with the General Counsel and the rest of the team of lawyers based in Sweden, the UK, the Netherlands, and Germany.
Key operational responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Supporting the Public Policy Unit and Tender Management Teams and its leadership in all legal & compliance matters and provide pragmatic advice on commercial and strategic decisions.
- Acting as the Legal Lead on tenders and concession agreements across the UK and EU, working closely with the Regional Counsels, the Head of Legal, and the General Counsel.
- Handling a diverse range of tendering negotiations and contracts and subsequent disputes and associated contract management matters.
- Reviewing, assessing, and enhancing the existing processes and policies in close dialogue with the various key stakeholders and identify ways to support the Public Policy Unit and Tender Management Teams effectively.
- Developing and conducting legal and regulatory training on public tendering and procurement laws and standards in a variety of markets, as appropriate.
- Providing hands-on legal support on the development of tenders and responses to RFI documentation from cities and on the development of key submissions and consultations with government authorities.
- As appropriate, driving cross-functional cooperation on key topics to shape Voi’s lobbying efforts and thought leadership position within the arena of safe and sustainable micro-mobility.
- Proactively managing the relationships with external law firms in a variety of markets and a cost-effective manner.
In addition, within the Voi Legal function, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to make a broader contribution to the overall business beyond the work with the Public Policy Unit. This is a great opportunity for an experienced legal professional to get involved in the micro-mobility community, be a part of shaping the future of urban mobility, and a chance to join the VOIage of a lifetime.
The Group Legal Counsel will play an integral role across all Regions and functions as well as the wider Legal team and liaise with a diverse range of internal and external stakeholders to move the business forward in a legally compliant manner. In addition to a generalist technical legal skillset, covering a broad range of commercial and corporate areas, the right candidate will possess a demonstrable track record of reviewing, negotiating, and responding to a diverse range of public tender and procurement agreements and documents. Furthermore, he/she will be expected to display commercial acumen and an ability to understand and proactively work towards Voi’s business goals.
In order to be successful in this role the ideal candidate will possess the following experience and personal attributes:
- Demonstrable experience of working effectively in a recognised law firm and, ideally, in an in-house Legal function of a meaningful, international business.
- A relevant legal qualification to advise across Europe and the proven experience of drafting, advising on, and negotiating a diverse range of public tender and procurement agreements and supporting documents and public law matters.
- The track record of interacting with Local Authorities and public bodies in the UK and, ideally, at the EU level as well as a sound understanding of Local Government policies and procedures.
- Previous experience within the mobility sector would be a clear advantage.
- A self-sufficient, pragmatic, and solutions-oriented approach with the passion to partner with a growing business focused on environmentally friendly mobility in urban living spaces.
- The judgement and poise to be an effective business partner to the Policy Unit, with the ability to create structure in a high-paced environment.
- The proven ability to deal with change and ambiguity in a hands-on and nimble manner.
- Strong relationship management skills and the ability to influence and liaise effectively across a diverse audience of internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to effectively convey information across all levels of the organisation as well as to external business partners.
- Fluency in English, both verbal and written; expertise in any other language(s) will be a clear advantage.
- A love of riding Voi e-scooters!
The team at Voi knows that diversity fuels innovation & creativity and it welcomes people from diverse backgrounds and experiences to take part in their journey and to ride the future together. Voi believes that having a wide diversity of people with different backgrounds and perspectives within the team is essential to its success in delivering the best user experience to the company’s equally diverse user base. With employees from over 50 nationalities working within Voi, the company believes it has made good progress but knows it can still do more. Regardless of gender, background, or sexual orientation, Voi welcomes applications.
What’s important for Voi are the skills and value a person can bring to the Voi team and that there is a great cultural fit!