GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) is a science-led global healthcare company with a special purpose: to help people do more, feel better, live longer. Over 100,000 employees across 150 countries, with 16,000 employees in R&D alone, work across three businesses: pharmaceuticals, vaccines and consumer healthcare.
GSK is going through an unprecedented period of growth and change. With significant product launches planned in the next few years, substantial ongoing business development of both assets and technologies and a robust pipeline of biologics, small molecules and cell and gene therapies in development for the future, IP will continue to remain indispensable to the successful execution of the company’s strategy. With that in mind, this new Patent Counsel position has been created to support GSK’s continued development and protection of proprietary innovation, the company’s commercial growth and commitment to improving patients’ lives.
The successful candidate will need to have intellectual ability, integrity, a high level of commercial awareness and professionalism, and the drive to excel as an attorney and is likely to fulfil the following criteria:
- Possess a Doctorate in Biochemistry, Biology or related field, with sound knowledge in the area of life sciences;
- Be a fully qualified Patent Attorney (EPA or CPA or part-qualified with at least pre-EQE);
- Prior experience within the pharmaceuticals industry;
- Experience in drafting and/or prosecuting biopharmaceutical patent applications;
- Demonstrate qualities of diligence, approachability and confidence in interaction with research and development colleagues and others across the organisation and externally;
- Be an excellent communicator, able to actively approach and convey information to stakeholders and business partners at all management levels and across different business areas;
- Strong interpersonal, negotiating, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Enjoy working within a dynamic and supportive team.