Urovant Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company focused on developing and commercializing innovative therapies for urological conditions. The company’s goal is to be a leading specialty company, recognized and trusted by patients and providers for its commitment to urology.
The company has recently established its European Headquarters in Basel, Switzerland and is in the process of hiring a number of senior executives who will help drive the approval and launch of its products in Europe.
The Head of IP Records will work closely with Ted Chan, Vice President, Associate General Counsel (Head of Intellectual Property) in managing worldwide patent and trademark portfolios, including working with outside counsel in coordinating EP, US and international patent filings, patent nationalizations into foreign jurisdictions, and foreign filings under other conventions; coordinating patentability/validity, freedom to operate, and competitive intelligence searches; interacting with inventors and coordinating invention disclosures; developing internal processes and strategies to strengthen and build the IP portfolio; supporting licensing and acquisition activity including the transfer-in of IP; and providing strategic support for IP litigation. Responsibilities will include defining project objectives and budget.
Further duties may include the analysis of legal advice focused on business-oriented solutions on a wide range of matters in the Europe region. Such matters may include working with outside counsel in the negotiation and preparation of an extensive range of agreements which could include supply, manufacturing, distribution/co-promotion agreements, procurement law, pharmaceutical law and compliance, clinical trials regulation and general risk management. This position is for the Europe Region and is based in Urovant Science GmbH’s office in Basel, Switzerland.
The successful candidate will be required to:
- Develop strong business relationships within Urovant to become a trusted advisor to management on legal matters in the Europe region.
- Train the business on key legal developments to effectively facilitate their work and business decisions.
- Develop deep knowledge of Urovant’s business and the broader business impact of decisions made.
- Keep abreast of changes in laws that affect client areas and represent Urovant externally to suppliers.
About the Candidate
The successful candidates are likely to fulfil the following profile:
- Possession of a bachelor’s degree.
- 8+ years of in-house legal experience.
- Strong working knowledge of EU patent regulations and procedures.
- General understanding/experience in European Pharmaceutical patent and regulatory law.
- Previous experience in the Pharmaceutical industry is required.
- Experience with IP management software preferred.
Essential Skills and Abilities
- Fluency in English is required. Fluency in German would be preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and strong interpersonal skills to interface effectively at all levels of the organization and with outside vendors, consultants, and the medical community.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Expert-level research skills.
- The ability to work independently.
- Demonstrated strengths planning, organizational, analytical skills, time management, conflict management, problem-solving and attention to detail.
- Commitment to collaborative leadership, teamwork and the maintenance of a professional culture based on trust and mutual respect.
- Ability to work across locations and time zones with domestic and international travel required at 20-40%.