STADA is a leading pharmaceutical company headquartered in Bad Vilbel, Germany which specialises in the production of generics, specialty pharma and non-prescription consumer healthcare products. With a long-standing heritage rooted in pharmacies, the company has been a reliable and trustworthy partner for over 125 years. STADA products help people protect and regain a dignified and able life. With its proven Generics, the company ensures that everyday health remains affordable.
Based on STADA´s company values “Integrity”, “Agility”, “Entrepreneurship” and “One STADA”, the company expects to outgrow the industry in terms of growth and profitability in 2022 and strives to continue being the partner of choice in generics and consumer health.
STADA’s IP strategy is crucial for the company’s continued success, and growth is expected to outperform the market in the coming years. The development of the IP team is therefore pivotal in helping STADA bring its products to market. This, in combination with supporting the company’s growing proprietary innovation and protection activity needs, results in STADA now seeking to recruit an experienced and commercially minded Patent Attorney to lead the Patent Management team, consisting of 10 Patent Counsels based at headquarters.
Key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Developing IP strategies in collaboration with the technical departments based on the competitive landscape;
- Freedom-To-Operate, drafting and prosecution management;
- Development of solutions and strategies for patent circumvention while minimising risks;
- Identifying and assessing patent-related risks and opportunities by analysing the scope of protection, assessing the likelihood of grant, enforceability and validity of patents and patent applications of third parties;
- Managing EPO opposition and appeals proceedings in collaboration with external attorneys;
- Participating in contract & agreement work, in particular confidentiality, license and development agreements;
- Patent law support for M&A and due diligence activities;
- Handling IP matters independently and assuming the full responsibility in relation to top management as well as other relevant managers throughout the business organisation;
- Participate in internal meetings and committees in R&D where innovation and future technology road maps are discussed.
The successful candidate should fulfil the following criteria:
- Possess a Doctorate in Chemistry, Biochemistry or Pharmacy;
- Possess substantive IP experience, ideally gained within an industry setting or reputable private practice;
- Experience with “freedom to operate” analyses and in patent litigation;
- Possess thorough knowledge of patent law and IP strategy formulation and deployment, including significant understanding of licensing and M&A activities;
- IP experience in the generics field is advantageous;
- Be an excellent communicator, able to actively approach and convey information to stakeholders and business partners at all management levels and across different business areas and to take over managerial responsibilities;
- Have experience in a management role and in working effectively in a global team;
- Show commercial awareness and interest in STADA’s proprietary technologies and future aims;
- Have a proactive, solution-orientated and independent working style, with excellent analytical skills.