Affimed is a clinical-stage immuno-oncology company committed to giving patients back their innate ability to fight cancer by actualising the untapped potential of the innate immune system. While tremendous advances have been made in I-O research that have primarily focused on adaptive immune system activation, a cure remains elusive, and novel therapeutic options with long-term benefits and better safety profiles are needed to further help patients. Affimed’s novel and proprietary technology will allow the company to develop and commercialise ground-breaking treatments, engaging the innate immune system and opening up new opportunities for long-lasting, multi-layered tumour control.
With broad expertise in innate immunity, tumour biology, and antibody engineering, Affimed is well situated to advance its unique and insightful approach for activating the innate immune system to fight cancer. Affimed’s strong position allows for the company to maintain its focus on execution and to bring important therapies to patients who need them. As such, the company continues to invest heavily into research and development and increased its R&D expenditure by 63 percent in 2021 year on year. The increasing level of innovation requires the IP team to develop in parallel and Affimed is therefore seeking to recruit an IP Director to join the IP team based at headquarters.
The IP Director will enjoy a high level of autonomy and diversity in dealing with a broad range of patent matters, including but not limited to:
- Partner with Affimed scientists to identify patentable subject matter;
- Drive strategic IP procurement and management of global intellectual property rights for individual ICE antibody constructs and cellular therapy;
- Review and negotiate the IP provisions in agreements;
- Partner effectively with relevant stakeholders to provide clear, strategic business enabling IP advice and strategy;
- Assist with litigation-related matters and challenging/defending patents in opposition, and other forums;
- Design and deliver value add global IP strategy based on detailed understanding of assigned projects and execute from invention capture to patent issuance;
- Manage and prosecute active global dockets;
- Deploy in-depth patent and scientific expertise to provide education, guidance, and advice on patent law issues to scientists conducting research, management, and other business stakeholders;
- Identify and exploit new strategic opportunities and approaches leveraging a deep understanding of patent law and a knowledge of the competitive landscape across the Affimed portfolio.
The successful candidate will enjoy an inspiring work environment, as well as the autonomy to build and shape the IP function and strategies in order to strengthen Affimed’s commercial success.
- M.S. or Ph.D. in biology, biotechnology, or other area relevant to biopharmaceutical IP practice with a focus in antibody and cell therapy technologies;
- Admission as European and/or national patent attorney;
- At least 5 years of biotechnology patent experience at a law firm or in-house IP department;
- Be an excellent communicator with the ability to convey information to professionals at all levels and across different business areas including senior management;
- Experience in building and leveraging global IP portfolios at all stages of prosecution and enforcement;
- Experience in designing and executing freedom to operate analyses across different technologies and different jurisdictions, developing, and communicating actionable risk mitigation strategies;
- Practical experience in the drafting, filing, and prosecution of a cellular therapy IP portfolio;
- Experience in IP transactions and due diligence is considered a plus;
- Experience in adverse IP proceedings including but not limited to EP oppositions and litigation would be beneficial;
- Have a solution-oriented mindset;
- Fluent in English; German language skills would be advantageous.