Medical Solutions List GmbH is a Graz-based Company-Group specialising in medical device trade for the field of in vitro diagnostics. The company provides its customers with various products of affiliated companies and trading partners and its offering ranges from analysers for laboratories and private practices to instruments for patient self-monitoring.
MSL has grown to become a leading provider of innovative and high-quality diagnostic solutions and finds itself on a continued path of growth and innovation. As such, and with the varying IP support and strategy across MSL’s affiliated companies, the position as IP Director necessitates a creative and proactive individual to oversee the management of IP matters. The incoming IP Director will be placed in an ideal position to impart managerial and commercial expertise, whilst actively impacting and shaping MSL’s IP strategy. With the expanding nature of MSL’s business units, the individual will enjoy a high level of autonomy and diversity in dealing with a broad range of patent matters, including but not limited to:
- Central coordination of IP agendas, in particular concerning national, European and international patent law, for two or more companies located in Graz, Austria;
- Support of the development teams in monitoring and analysing third party IP rights in the field of in vitro diagnostics (freedom-to-operate analyses, patent screening and searches as well as their preparation and follow-up);
- Identification and evaluation of patent risks and issues in close cooperation with the inventors and external patent attorneys (assessment of patent infringements);
- Detection of protectable innovations, incl. processing and assessment of invention disclosures;
- Content management of external patent attorneys;
- Further development, simplification and adaptation of the internal FTO process and other IP-relevant processes to the inventors’ needs and the agile way of working;
- Creation and further development of the protection strategy;
- Support of IP-related agreements on research/development collaborations and contracts as well as drafting non-disclosure agreements and other IP-related agreements;
- Proactively supporting the R&D departments in patent-related matters.
The IP management function within MSL and its affiliated companies gives access to a diverse range of tasks and technologies, along with numerous opportunities for career and personal development to the candidate.
A successful candidate should possess:
- A university degree in either chemical engineering, physics, electrical engineering, medical technology, life sciences or a related discipline;
- Several years of experience in the profession, ideally gained within an industry setting or reputable private practice;
- Consolidated knowledge of European patent law and IP strategy formulation and desire to take responsibility for IP management and strategy;
- Excellent social, communication and negotiation skills and international competency;
- Ability to interact with senior management on all IP matters;
- Qualities of diligence, approachability and confidence in interaction with research and development colleagues and others across the business and externally;
- Ability to work independently;
- Strong communication and teamwork skills;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks;
- Fluency in German and English.