Signify, headquartered in Eindhoven, the Netherlands, is the world market leader with recognised expertise in the development, manufacture and sale of innovative, energy-efficient lighting systems and services. The company has pioneered many key breakthroughs in lighting over the past 130 years with 38,000 people in 74 countries being a driving force behind several leading technological innovations.
This is an exceptional opportunity for an energetic, up-and-coming German speaking IP licensing professional to accelerate their career by joining one of the world’s largest and best-known industrial IP organisations. This is a key strategic hire for Signify and demonstrates the company’s ambition to take its licensing activities and revenues to new levels across Europe.
Focused exclusively on licensing-out, the successful candidate will take responsibility for managing a number of licensing projects together with developing a pipeline of new potential licensees. In summary, the key responsibilities of the role will include:
- Analysing Signify’s patent portfolio and identifying and developing new IP exploitation/licensing opportunities across Europe (with particular focus on Germany, Austria and Switzerland (DACH));
- Assess the opportunity and identify relevant products and patents;
- Develop and manage a pipeline of prospects, approaching and developing relationships in a structured and professional manner;
- Leading and participating in projects to realise the potential value of new business cases, guiding the prospects through the process while managing all stakeholders;
- Actively negotiating and closing licensing agreements;
- Maintaining relationships with key existing customers through strategic account management and monitor compliance of licensees;
- Continuing with implementing a licensing strategy for Signify in Western, Northern, Eastern and Central Europe in line with the broader international strategy;
- As part of the specialist Licensing team, liaising closely with colleagues in other regions, like Southern Europe, the US, and Asia Pacific;
- Assisting in preparing regular review presentations to Signify’s senior management and key stakeholders in the process;
- Actively raising awareness internally of IP licensing, building and establishing relationships with key stakeholders and groups within Signify.
The successful candidate will have a strong track record within international licensing and business development, coupled with a thorough awareness of intellectual property and its development and exploitation. In addition, the appointee should possess the following:
- An excellent educational background with a technical Master’s Degree and preferably additional Business Master’s Degree and/or possess a legal degree/legal Bar qualification (candidates may alternatively possess a regional or European Patent Attorney qualification);
- Preferably three years or more of experience in business development/IP licensing in an IP-intensive business;
- Knowledge of intellectual property and proven understanding of the commercial value of IP;
- Strong commercial talent with experience and passion in technical sales and IP business development;
- Excellent relationship-building, influencing and hands-on negotiations skills;
- A proactive, entrepreneurial, business-orientated working attitude;
- Strong analytical and organisational skills;
- The confidence and communication skills to operate successfully at all levels both internally and externally;
- Fluent English and German, and/or additional European language skills.