IP Director, Faurecia Automotive Seating
Faurecia is a world-leading developer and manufacturer of parts in the automotive sector. Headquartered in Nanterre in France, the company’s silent but substantial power is reflected in the fact that a third of all vehicles incorporate at least one of its products. Faurecia employs over 122,000 staff, including 8,300 engineers and technicians. Operations extend across 335 sites spanning 37 countries. Annual revenues recently reached new heights of €18bn, spurred by growth rates of 10.6 percent across the company – 8.3 percent more than the growth of automotive production worldwide.
From seats and dashboards through to emissions control technologies and exhaust systems, Faurecia designs and manufactures components used in all aspects of the modern automotive industry. This diverse product portfolio ensures that the company enjoys an equally vibrant range of clients, ranging from Ford and General Motors through to Hyundai-Kia and Toyota.
The company has four divisions devoted to automotive seating, interior systems, emission control technologies and automotive exteriors.
Following some recent changes, Faurecia is now seeking to recruit an IP Manager to oversee all IP matters for the Automotive Seating Business Group (FAS). The successful candidate will be responsible for managing a team of IP professionals focused on FAS IP matters located across sites in Brières-les-Scellés (France), Stadthagen (moving to Hannover, Germany, in 2020), Auburn Hills (Michigan, US), Shanghai (China) and Pune (India). Reporting directly to the Group IP Director, Christophe Vougny, the appointee will provide a global overview of IP issues together with defining and executing IP strategies. In summary, the candidate will:
- Assess the patentability of Invention Disclosure Forms (IDFs);
- Oversee patent first filings and extension decisions through Patent Committees;
- Ensure the highest standards of quality in relation to filings, both internally and through external Patent Attorneys;
- Manage and support colleagues in relation to Freedom To Operate (FTO) matters;
- Provide direction and support to colleagues for all infringement-related issues, notably oppositions and pre-litigation analysis;
- Define patent filing and overall IP strategy with the Group IP Director and FAS management, ensuring its alignment with corporate objectives and ultimate execution;
- Develop, motivate and manage the FAS IP Group, bringing real leadership qualities.
- Fully qualified European Patent Attorney with significant experience;
- An Engineering Degree or Masters Degree in Mechanics and/or Electronics;
- A background working in either private practice and/or industry;
- Experience across several activities, including patent portfolio management, FTO matters and oppositions/litigation;
- Demonstrable experience of managing and leading an IP team;
- Fluency in English is mandatory.