Founded in 1987 by Air France, Lufthansa, Iberia and SAS, Amadeus is now a leader in the global travel industry and one of the world’s top 10 software companies as listed by Forbes in 2018. The company operates in more than 190 markets and employs over 19,000 people spanning 146 nationalities worldwide, delivering 24-hour support in markets across Europe, North America, Latin America, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. For the year that ended December 31, 2018 the company reported revenues of €4.94bn, up from €4.85 bn in 2017 and a significant €3.91 billion in 2015. The company’s headquarters are located in Madrid, Spain.
A newly created position and reporting directly to Justin Fun, Head IP Value & Strategy, the IP Manager within the IP Value & Strategy team will not only maximise the value of Amadeus’s IP but also play a significant role in more deeply embedding IP within relevant Business Units and the organisation as a whole.
In summary, the position will encompass the following responsibilities:
- Sharpen and hone strategy as to how IP is approached and handled internally;
- Develop and implement systems and policies relating to a broad spectrum of IP issues, including patents, designs and trade secrets;
- Assess and seek to optimise the quality and value of Amadeus’ patent portfolio, working closely with BUs to cultivate and raise IP awareness internally;
- Support the processing of various country-specific IP incentive schemes – for example, in France relating to research and tax credit for IP licensing revenue which can be used for R & D spend;
- Work in close collaboration with Amadeus Business Units to devise and implement IP strategies aligned to their objectives;
- Identify and drive IP-based collaboration opportunities and support IP transactional activities;
- Handle third-party patent rights concerns, liaising closely with outside Counsel in respect of managing IP litigation;
- Organise and supervise IP Boards, created with technical and business management within identified technology areas;
- Assess inventions and determine IP outcomes for protection, drafting and filing patent applications as appropriate;
- Manage a patent portfolio for a specifically identified Business or Technology line.
The successful candidate for the role will fulfil the following criteria:
- Qualified European or US Patent Attorney;
- Electrical/Software Engineering Degree or equivalent technical training;
- Experience at a reputable IP firm and/or in a corporate IP role in industry;
- Deep knowledge of patent law and solid practical experience of handling inventions;
- Experience of devising and applying patent protection strategies and managing patent disputes;
- Experience with software patenting and knowledge of developments in various jurisdictions;
- Understanding of and experience in IP-related agreements, particularly licensing;
- Commercially aware individual with understanding of how business and corporate functions work and align;
- Excellent communication and relationship skills, able to interact effectively across different facets of an organisation, cross-culturally and at all levels;
- Strategic and analytic thinker, capable of managing complex legal matters and disseminating in layman’s terms with multiple different stakeholders;
- Fluent English speaker, ideally also fluent in French.