Mercari is a Japanese e-commerce company and the largest consumer-to-consumer online marketplace in Japan. Founded in 2013, the company has transformed the Japanese peer-to-peer market and become one of Japan’s first unicorns, raising $1.2B during its IPO in June 2018. Mercari seeks to create a prospering society that circulates the limited resources we have, and uses the power of technology to enable people to easily connect and enjoy the experience of buying and selling with each other. With over 17 million active monthly users in Japan, Mercari’s customer base continues to grow year on year.
Mercari’s technological leadership remains a key pillar of the company’s growth strategy. Intellectual Property is therefore a major cornerstone of Mercari’s success. The IP Team operates an “Open & Defensive” strategy – balancing the benefits of establishing relationships, collaborating with external parties to advance innovation, whilst defending and protecting Mercari’s IP assets and competitive advantage as a global e-commerce leader.
With that in mind, Mercari is now seeking for an Intellectual Property Specialist to support the company’s continued development and protection of innovation, its commercial growth and commitment to help society thrive.
Key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- IP creation: investigating, identifying, applying for, prosecuting, and clearing IP rights (patent rights, trademark rights, design rights, etc.)
- IP portfolio management and review
- IP litigation, disputes, and negotiations for IP rights
- Design and implement procedures and processes
- IP awareness training
The successful candidate should fulfil the following criteria:
- Experience in software patent rights, ideally acquired from in-house IP departments of multinational companies
- Possess excellent communication skills
- Business-level fluency in both written and spoken English and native-level fluency in Japanese
- Patent attorney/lawyer qualifications
- Experience working on tasks related to trademark and copyright
- Experience in developing software
- Cheerful and energetic with high aspirations
- Capable of taking on bold challenges and learning from mistakes
- Capable of working independently and taking the initiative to lead the team to success
- Possesses a strong sense of responsibility and works hard to achieve their goals
- Comfortable in dealing effectively with a culturally diverse team