Mewburn Ellis is one of Europe’s leading IP firms. Ranked top tier, they are a firm synonymous with quality and technical excellence, with a focus to date on producing great work for clients and home-growing brilliant attorneys. Mewburn Ellis has always been a forward-looking IP firm with a history of embracing change, thinking ahead and anticipating challenges and opportunities both for clients and for the business. Mewburn’s future is about ongoing improvements and driving the continued growth and development of the firm.
Mewburn’s life sciences team is currently more than 30 strong and spans all five of its offices. The team is home to some of the most outstanding attorneys in the life sciences space, many of whom are recognised as ‘leaders in their field’. Most impressively, in a market where patent law firms are often criticised for conservative and cautious advice which fails to challenge case law, Mewburn is frequently referenced in the EPO’s ‘White Book’ as it pushes industry boundaries.
Mewburn has rarely sought to hire laterally in the past. It does so now, not simply in response to growing client demand but as an active part of its strategy to diversify intellectually and attract alternative approaches and ideas. With clients ranging from Big Pharma and research organisations through to clinical stage biotech companies, the practice’s strengths span oppositions as much as patent procurement services.
Mewburn is now seeking to add an additional IP Director to its ranks, with flexibility for this role to be based across any of its UK offices. As an IP Director with Mewburn you will work at all stages of the IP life cycle and provide strategic advice about patent, trade mark and registered designs, as well as any IP-related disputes and legal and commercial requirements, with particular emphasis on client ownership and autonomy.
The right candidate should be passionate about IP and what it can do for the world and our future. They will need to be technically excellent, but also have the right attitude and to be able to understand business and speak meaningfully with clients, as well as resonate with the values and ambitions of the firm as a whole. In exchange the right candidate can expect a challenging (in a good way!) but friendly environment, cutting-edge work and a chance to be part of Mewburn’s growth story.
The successful candidate is likely to fulfil the following criteria:
- Possess a Life Sciences degree (ideally Doctorate) – e.g. in Biology, Biotech, Biochemistry or a similarly related field;
- Be a fully qualified European Patent Attorney with substantial post-qualification experience (c. 5+ years’)
- Possess experience in managing opposition proceedings and supporting litigation activities;
- Possess excellent communication skills coupled with good interpersonal skills, to interface effectively, both verbally and in writing, with colleagues and clients;
- Be highly motivated and proactive with the drive and determination to assist in the development of the practice and the firm as a whole;
- Have a proactive, solution-orientated and autonomous working style, with excellent analytical skills.