Onsagers is a leading full-service IP firm and IP strategy adviser in Norway, acting globally with a dedicated international team. With over 70 years of history, the firm is the largest IP firm in Norway and one of the three largest IP firms across Scandinavia. The firm has a dedicated team of international IP professionals who offer a ‘one-stop-shop’ approach to their clients. Attorneys at law and European patent attorneys with extensive international experience work in close collaboration from the firm’s head offices in Oslo, and two other offices in Bergen and Tromsø.
With a diverse client base, Onsagers serves some of the most well-known international brands, domestic Norwegian companies, as well as start-ups and entrepreneurs. Over 80% of Onsagers’ clients are domestic companies and they rely on the IP experts at Onsagers to provide not only IP Legal advice, but also support them in creating economic value from the strategic development and management of IP.
The firm is going through a period of rapid growth driven by its domestic and international clients. As the most prestigious IP firm in Norway, Onsagers has always had considerable success in attracting the best local IP professionals and experienced European Patent Attorneys outside of Norway; however, as the firm is highly ambitious in expanding its business and strengthening the firm’s expertise, it is seeking to attract experienced IP professionals of the highest calibre from across Europe to further its strategic growth. A unique opportunity has therefore arisen for an experienced Partner with substantial experience of EPO opposition, oral proceedings, appeals, invalidity and infringement proceedings to manage the increased caseload and to provide thought leadership in this domain.
Working remotely or based in Oslo, the successful candidate will be tasked with handling a busy workload to support existing clients, as well as having autonomy and operational responsibility for developing new business opportunities. It is anticipated that the successful candidate will bring a network of potential client relationships to the practice, however, given current demand and workload from existing clients, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to work on behalf of existing Onsagers clients, whilst developing a fully independent portfolio.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Representing clients on opposition, oral proceedings, and appeals before the EPO, and coordinating such proceedings with the legal team in court proceedings;
- Advising a wide range of clients on all aspects of IP from a business perspective including, IP strategy development, IPR protection, formulating defensive and enforcement strategies, and exploitation of IP;
- Taking an active approach in business development opportunities, including attendance at international events/conferences as a representative of the firm to acquire new business and consolidate existing relationships;
- Providing patent validity and infringement opinions, as well as freedom-to-operate (FTO) opinions;
- Working together with attorneys at law from the legal team and advising clients on IP licensing agreements;
- Conducting IP audits and due diligence for investors and businesses with IP assets;
- Mentoring and supervising junior members of the team.
The successful candidate is likely to fulfil the following criteria:
- Currently a Partner at an esteemed European IP firm;
- Possesses a strong reputation and track record in the Technology or Engineering sectors;
- Holds a technical background in Mechanical / Electrical Engineering / Physics;
- Possesses extensive IP experience, particularly in oppositions, oral proceedings, and appeal work;
- Highly credible and supported by excellent communication skills and a diplomatic approach;
- Displays sound commercial acumen and decision-making skills, as well as a keenness to deepen Onsagers’ client relationships;
- Has the ability to demonstrate the authority and enthusiasm to drive forward the firm’s ethos and mission and possesses leadership potential or experience to step into a senior partner position in the future;
- A “team player” who is supportive of the wider team and thrives in a collaborative and collegial working environment.