Volvo Car Group (Volvo Cars) is the Swedish premium vehicle manufacturer headquartered in Gothenburg. Since 1927, the company has delivered a steady stream of Volvo models equipped with world-leading innovations. Today, it is one of the most well-known and respected car brands in the world.
Volvo Cars is on an exciting journey and investing in the technology to get them there. They will be fully electric by 2030 and reach carbon neutrality by 2040.
Based in Gothenburg and reporting to the Head of Patents, the Patent Attorney will have the following main accountabilities:
- Fostering a culture of innovation and providing guidance, advice, and training to the R&D teams;
- Implementing business relevant IP strategies, aligned with technology road maps, in close collaboration with the R&D teams and being the thought leader in your areas of responsibility;
- Planning, organizing, coordinating, and implementing activities for IP Portfolio development in line with technology road maps;
- Identifying and protecting inventions involving close working relationships with inventors from R&D, and facilitating sessions with engineering teams and thought leaders to harvest inventions ;
- Evaluating invention disclosures and supervising the drafting and prosecution of applications to ensure business value and technology relevancy of the patent protection, as well as high quality and value for money;
- Identifying and assessing patent-related risks and counselling on freedom-to-operate in an increasingly competitive environment;
- Handling patent matters independently in relation to relevant stakeholders throughout the business organization.
Finally, you will translate IP law principles into actions that deliver business value and tangible benefits and support increasing IP awareness and driving the strategic IP agenda.
You are a skilled patent attorney with solid communications skills, with the ability to translate complex IP concepts into easy to understand language. and the ability to work effectively and collaboratively throughout the company. Other qualifications include:
- Admission as a European and/or national patent attorney
- Master of Science in a relevant technical field such as electronic engineering, engineering physics, applied physics, computer science, or ICT;
- At least 5 years of patent experience at a law firm or in-house IP department preferably, with expertise in both software implemented and mechanical inventions;
- Knowledge of patent law and practice of major jurisdictions, including obtaining and defending patent rights and challenging third-party patent rights;
- With this also goes proven analytical skills and experience in making decisions, negotiating, and developing solutions or judgments within relevant IP areas. You view IP as a strategic business asset, anticipate future business and legal risks and seek creative solutions and opportunities.
As a person, you are business and service-minded, structured, detail-oriented, and have a focus on getting things done. You enjoy identifying improvement areas and embrace change and you meet deadlines and are fine to work under time pressure from time to time. You are a true team player and enjoy supporting colleagues. Because the Intellectual Property teams manage very strategic and sensitive matters, integrity is natural for you. You also must be excellent at working and writing in English.