bit.bio is a synthetic biology company providing human cells for research, drug discovery and cell therapy. The company applies a patented safe harbour gene-targeting approach (opti-ox™; Pawlowski 2017) to inducibly express transcription factor combinations that reprogram human induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) into highly defined and mature human cell types.
The company was spun out of the University of Cambridge in 2016 and has since raised $150M capital from Arch Ventures, Foresite Capital, Milky Way, Charles River Laboratories, National Resilience, Tencent, and Puhua Capital among others.
Reporting directly to the General Counsel, you will work with a team of scientists at the forefront of their fields. This is a key role in building a world-class IP management capability. Working globally with external patent counsel you will build and manage the bit.bio IP portfolio, effectively protecting bit.bio’s products and technologies and navigating competitive threats.
You will be responsible, in collaboration with the General Counsel and their scientific experts, for the continuous development of the bit.bio IP strategy.
The Patent Counsel will enjoy a high level of autonomy and diversity in dealing with a broad range of patent and business matters with responsibilities including, but not limited to:
- Identifying and managing all associated IP risks for bit.bio;
- Filing, prosecution, maintenance, and defence of bit.bio’s patents portfolio;
- Pro-actively identifying new inventions as well as devising and implementing global strategies for building patent portfolios;
- Evaluating and monitoring patent portfolios of third parties;
- Working with commercial and research teams to monitor competitive threats and identify in-licensing opportunities;
- Developing and communicating IP training and guidance to bit.bio’s internal stakeholders;
- Providing IP and technical analysis in support of patent litigation;
- Advising on contracts relating to the in-licensing and out-licensing of bit.bio’s IP;
- Managing external counsel and budget.
bit.bio provides a vibrant and dynamic work environment in an exciting, fast-moving time for biology. They work with cutting edge technologies and with their world-leading scientific advisory board. They conduct pioneering work with real-world impact.
bit.bio trusts their people to make significant contributions early on with opportunities to be involved in projects that are key to the success and growth of our young company. They invest in people, creating opportunities for personal development in an inclusive multi-skilled team with ambitious goals that provide opportunities to learn on the job from each other.
The incoming Patent Director will be:
- A fully qualified UK or European Patent Attorney, with proven previous relevant experience of handling global biotechnology or pharmaceutical patent portfolios;
- Educated to Ph.D. level or equivalent, and/or several years of laboratory experience in the relevant scientific area;
- Scientifically qualified with an excellent degree or equivalent in biochemistry, genetics or biological science;
- A solutions-oriented problem solver with determination to achieve positive outcomes for the business.
You will have experience in:
- Biotech and/or pharmaceutical industry, particularly some or all of the following: biological therapeutics, genetic engineer/recombinant DNA, assays and screening, stem cells;
- Patent prosecution skills and ability to independently lead patent dockets and portfolios in multiple markets and jurisdictions.
- Combined in-house and law firm experience preferred;
- Experience in leading external service providers;
- First-hand experience of IP-related litigation;
- Experience in working across cultures.