Powell Gilbert was founded in 2007 by a small and select group of experienced and specialist IP lawyers, since then it has risen to become one of the largest, most innovative and highly regarded IP litigation and advisory teams in the United Kingdom. As a specialist IP law firm, IP is central to everything the firm does and seeks to achieve. Put simply, its level of knowledge and expertise is second to none in the market.
Powell Gilbert works with a diverse cross-section of clients across a similarly broad spectrum of industries. The firm works across knowledge, technology and brand-based industries, from start-ups to multinationals, across a broad range of sectors including pharmaceuticals and biotechnology, electronics, telecommunications, medical devices, energy technologies and consumer goods.
Although London-based, Powell Gilbert has a multinational client base and the majority of its cases have an international dimension. The firm commonly works as part of cross-border teams, alongside lawyers working on parallel cases in continental Europe, Scandinavia, Australia, Japan, Korea, India and the US, for example, to achieve effective and consistent management of IP issues across jurisdictions. The firm has excellent relations with firms in other jurisdictions, with the opportunities for secondments to and from such firms.
Powell Gilbert is now entering a new phase of exciting growth and central to this strategy is its ability to attract and recruit high-calibre lawyers who can evolve with the firm. Historically strong across a number of sectors, the firm is particularly renowned for its expertise in sectors such as Life Sciences and Telecommunications and is keen to further capitalise and build on existing strengths. The firm would like to focus on attracting high-performing, high potential Associates in the 3-6 year PQE range who will fit with the firm’s culture and ethos.
In addition to the primary focus on handling UK and international patent litigation cases, successful candidates can expect to be involved in adjunct work such as in relation to relevant agreements, validity analysis and freedom-to-operate advice (FTO), as well as potential work relating to soft IP, such as trademarks. The firm also emphasises the depth of exposure and responsibility it confers to Associates on cases, such as being part of trial teams, thus giving them the platform to make a difference rather than simply ‘co-ordinating’ litigation.
Powell Gilbert provides excellent long-term career prospects for the right candidates, with a history of promoting Associates organically to the partnership rather than lateral hiring.
The successful candidates will ideally possess the following:
- UK-qualified Solicitors (or Barristers);
- Between three and six years’ Post-Qualification Experience (PQE);
- Be working at a reputable UK or international law firm with an established reputation and commitment to patent and IP work;
- Experience of handling multi-jurisdictional patent litigation;
- Experience of patent litigation across different sectors, with exposure to fields such as telecoms and life sciences ideal (a technical background, such as a scientific academic qualification, would be ideal although not a pre-requisite);
- Some experience of non-contentious IP work, together with soft IP litigation, would also be ideal (but again not essential);
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, able to develop and cultivate long-term client relationships;
- Have a proactive and enterprising personality, keen to embrace challenges and initiatives;
- Be a team player, inclusive by nature, with strong principles of trust and respect for others