As the importance of intellectual property to BIC’s commercial strategy continues to evolve, this opportunity offers excellent potential for a patent attorney to develop managerial skills and add value to an innovative, globally esteemed company with a leading market position in its various consumer product verticals.
BIC is a family-owned company listed on the Paris Stock Exchange and a world leader in stationery, lighters and shavers. For more than 60 years, BIC has honored the tradition of providing high-quality, simple, inventive and reliable choices for everyone, everywhere, every time.
BIC® products provide easy answers for everyday needs. In creating its first product, the BIC® Cristal® ballpoint pen, BIC chose to go straight to what’s essential: create something for everyone to use that is simple, yet reliable, and provides a solution for something that we all do. This vision is at the heart of every brand decision BIC makes.
Every BIC® Cristal® pen provides the same quality writing experience from beginning to end, writing for more than 1,2 miles (2 km). Every BIC® full-size lighter produces up to 3,000 steady flames. Every BIC® Flex 3 razor delivers up to 17 shaves.
In stationery, BIC continuously innovates state-of-the-art writing technology for consumers every year. The stationery R&D department is organized around two sections: design and ink systems. Unique in the stationery industry, components of BIC® products are developed internally, allowing BIC to have full control over the quality and reliability of the products it produces.
Over the past three years, BIC has succeeded in adding competitive advantage to its shavers business through the development of a new intellectual property department and strategy. The company is now seeking to replicate this success in its stationery business, which faces an equally competitive market in which a patent attorney could unlock significant value.
Reporting to BIC’s Vice President of Intellectual Property, you will serve as the lead IP adviser for research projects within BIC’s stationery business, as the company improves existing products and develops new technologies. You will be crucial to pushing forward the company’s ambitious filing goals, devising key patent strategies and managing the work of several patent engineers within the business unit.
Key responsibilities will therefore include:
- Counselling R&D on all IP issues arising within early-stage projects;
- Raising and sustaining awareness of IP on an ongoing basis;
- Instructing and overseeing drafting conducted by outside counsel;
- Managing global prosecution in alignment with BIC’s strategic priorities;
- Leading a team of patent engineers providing further support to the stationery business.
The successful candidate will possess:
- Full qualification as a European Patent Attorney.
- A strong academic background in organic chemistry or chemical engineering.
- The commercial aptitude to collaborate effectively on research and development projects, building and using patents as strategic tools, not simply as legal rights.
- The leadership skills to guide the work of patent engineers.
- Fluency in English. French language skills are desirable but not essential.