Powell Gilbert was founded in 2007 by a small, select group of experienced IP lawyers, and has since risen to become one of the largest, most innovative and highly-regarded specialist IP litigation and advisory firms in the UK.
The firm works with a diverse cross-section of clients from start-ups to multinationals, operating in a broad range of sectors including pharmaceuticals and biotechnology, electronics, telecommunications, medical devices, energy technologies and consumer goods. Historically strong across a number of sectors, Powell Gilbert is particularly renowned for its expertise across life sciences and telecommunications, having acted and succeeded in a number of high profile, ground-breaking patent cases, including Unwired Planet v. Huawei, and most recently, Regeneron Pharmaceuticals vs. Kymab.
Headquartered in London, Powell Gilbert has a multinational client base, with the majority of its cases having an international dimension. The firm commonly works as part of a cross-border team, alongside lawyers in continental Europe, Scandinavia, Australia, Japan, Korea, India and the US, to achieve effective and consistent management of IP issues across multiple jurisdictions.
Powell Gilbert is now entering an exciting new phase of growth, and is keen to further capitalise and build on its existing reputation in IP litigation. Central to this growth phase is the need to attract and recruit high-calibre lawyers capable of evolving with the firm. The firm’s focus is on adding a high-performing, high potential associate in the 3-6 year PQE bracket who will fit with the firm’s intellectually rigorous but friendly culture and ethos.
In addition to the primary focus on UK and international patent litigation cases, successful candidates can expect to be involved in adjunct work such as agreements, validity analysis and FTO advisory, as well as a proportion of contentious “soft” IP work, such as trademarks. The firm also prides itself on the deep exposure and responsibility afforded to associates on cases – such as being part of trial teams – giving meritocratic opportunity for meaningful contribution at every experience level.
Powell Gilbert also provides excellent long-term career prospects for the right candidate, with a history of promoting associates organically to partnership rather than lateral hiring.
The successful candidate will ideally possess the following:
- UK or Commonwealth-qualification as a Solicitor (or Barrister);
- Between one and six years’ Post-Qualification Experience (PQE);
- Experience built at a reputable UK or international law firm, or in industry with emphasis on an established reputation and commitment to patent and IP work;
- Significant experience of handling multi-jurisdictional patent litigation;
- Significant experience of patent litigation across different sectors, with exposure to telecoms and life sciences ideal (with a technical or scientific degree preferred, though not a prerequisite);
- Some exposure to non-contentious IP work, together with soft IP litigation;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to develop and cultivate long-term client relationships;
- A proactive and enterprising personality, and keenness to embrace challenges and new initiatives;
- A “team-player” attitude, inclusive by nature, with strong principles of trust and respect for others.