Founded in 1905, Safran is an international high-technology group, operating in the aviation (propulsion, equipment, and interiors), defence and space markets. Its core purpose is to contribute to a safer, more sustainable world, where air transport is more environmentally friendly, comfortable, and accessible. Operating worldwide, the Group has 79,000 employees and annual sales exceeding €16.5bn in 2020. Safran was recognised as a Best Employer to work by the prestigious Forbes magazine in its 2020 classification.
The Safran Group invests extensively into its Research & Development (R&D), and its Research & Technology strategy is based on the ability to develop innovative technologies and efficiently manage these advances. Its Intellectual Property assets not only enhance its competitiveness but also help cement partnerships with other technology leaders. The Safran Group files around 1100 patents a year, placing it in 3rd place in innovation within the French industry. Today, the Group’s portfolio includes more than 47,000 patents worldwide.
In response to its ongoing commitment to growth and innovation, Safran Group is looking to appoint a Patent Attorney to sit within Propulsion Systems Division (Pôle), based at the company’s ‘state-of-the-art’ Vilaroche R&D and manufacturing site close to Melun (77). The successful candidate will be responsible for developing, optimising, and positioning a particular patent portfolio in line with the needs of the business.
In summary, the position will comprise the following responsibilities:
- Manage the growth and quality of the patent portfolio.
- Provide the necessary tools and framework for harmonising innovations and know-how and ensuring base protection.
- Promote and facilitate the technical side of innovations, from a distinctive and quality perspective.
- Analyse Invention Disclosures and define the most appropriate protection strategies.
- Ensure the efficiency of these innovation protection processes through the use of appropriate tools and methods implemented within the Group.
- Define the profile of inventions and the envisaged protection strategy.
- Define and manage the strategy and quality of external Patent Attorneys in relation to drafting and filing.
- Oversee policy relating to acquiring, protection and enforcement of patents.
- Manage, develop, and commercialise the patent portfolio from both a strategic and operational perspective.
- Gather and assess relevant technical, strategic, and financial information to facilitate the evaluation of the importance of IP protection, whether through patents, or designs.
- Continuously assess the efficiency and quality of portfolio processes, particularly in respect of key stages of filing, prosecution, and management.
- Manage IP oppositions and/or litigations.
The successful candidate is likely to fulfil the following criteria:
- Possess a technical background in Mechanics or a related field.
- Be a qualified French Patent Attorney or graduated from the CEIPI with some prior work experience.
- Have either a private practice or industry background.
- Be fluent in French and English. French nationality is an essential requirement of the appointee who will be expected to sign the Official Secrets Act (“Habilitation Défence”).
- Be able to work to high-quality standards both independently and as part of a team.
- Have the intellect and professional experience to operate without daily direction.
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills and be a personable individual, able to engender immediate credibility with the rest of the team.
- Be able to demonstrate a commercial approach to their work and an understanding of the needs of the business.
- Be highly motivated, with the ability to organise proactively a challenging workload.
- Ensure that work is delivered in a timely manner to a high professional standard.
- Be focused with an attention to detail balanced by sound common sense.
- Possess the ability to adopt a strategic approach at all times.