Ascendis Pharma is a NASDAQ-listed biopharmaceutical company founded in 2007 and headquartered in Copenhagen, with global reach from offices in Heidelberg, Germany and Palo Alto, California. Committed to utilising its innovative TransCon™ technologies to create new and potentially best-in-class therapies to address unmet medical needs, Ascendis is emerging as a leading, fully integrated biopharmaceutical company focused on making a meaningful difference in patients’ lives.
Ascendis currently has a pipeline of three wholly-owned, independent rare disease endocrinology product candidates in clinical development, and multiple preclinical programs in oncology, their second therapeutic area. Ascendis is characterised as entrepreneurial, fast-growing and innovative, and is rewarding and dynamic environment for employees to grow and develop their skills.
Reporting to VP of IP in Heidelberg, this newly created Senior IP Counsel position will be based in the company’s corporate headquarters of Copenhagen. The incoming Senior IP Counsel will be tasked with working alongside the CEO and CRO, and supporting the company through its exciting and dynamic period of patent portfolio development and maturation.
The role will involve, inter alia:
- Developing IP strategies for the portfolio based on the competitive landscape;
- Performing Freedom-To-Operate and complex opposition analyses and action plans;
- Managing litigation efforts and overseeing external legal and patent counsel;
- Bringing IP expertise into due diligence projects and the development of other strategic collaborations and partnerships.
The successful candidate is likely to fulfil the following criteria:
- Hold a Master’s degree or, ideally, a Doctorate/PhD in Chemistry or Biochemistry or related field;
- Be a fully qualified European Patent Attorney and/or US Patent Attorney;
- Possess c. 10 years’ substantive IP experience, ideally gained within a global biotech/pharma industry setting;
- Possess thorough knowledge of patent law and IP strategy formulation and deployment, including significant understanding of litigation, management and strategy;
- Be a results-driven, highly motivated individual with appetite for proactively driving things forward;
- Show a strong interest in Ascendis Pharma’s proprietary technologies and products;
- Be an excellent communicator, able to create and nurture stakeholder relationships and display compelling leadership at all levels and across different business areas;
- Possess professional level proficiency in written and spoken English as the working language of the company.