Volvo Car Group (Volvo Cars) is the Swedish premium vehicle manufacturer headquartered in Gothenburg. Since 1927, the company has delivered a steady stream of Volvo models equipped with world-leading innovations. Today, it is one of the most well-known and respected car brands in the world.
Volvo Cars is on an exciting journey and investing in the technology to get them there. They will be fully electric by 2030 and reach carbon neutrality by 2040.
Based in Gothenburg and reporting to the Head of Patents, the Senior Patent Attorney will have the following main accountabilities:
- Fostering a culture of innovation and providing guidance, advice, and training to the R&D teams;
- Developing and implementing IP strategies in close collaboration with the R&D teams and being the thought leader in your areas of exclusive responsibility;
- Facilitating ideation sessions with engineering teams and thought leaders to capture inventions;
- Participation in management meetings and committees in R&D where innovation and future technology road maps are discussed;
- Identifying and assessing patent-related risks and counselling on freedom-to-operate in an increasingly competitive environment;
- Supervising the drafting and prosecution of applications and the management of opposition and appeals proceedings to maximize the value of the patent protection;
- Taking responsibility for our external costs by ensuring we obtain high-quality work and value for money from external attorneys;
- Advising on licensing and contractual matters and reviewing IP clauses and license agreements;
- Handling patent disputes and litigation;
- Handling IP matters independently and assuming full responsibility in relation to relevant stakeholders throughout the business organization;
- Providing guidance and support to other team members.
Finally, you will translate IP law principles into actions that deliver business value and tangible benefits and support increasing IP awareness and driving the strategic IP agenda.
You are an experienced and skilled patent attorney with solid communications skills and the ability to work effectively and collaboratively throughout the company. Other qualifications include:
- Admission as a European and/or national patent attorney;
- At least 8 years of patent experience at a law firm or in-house IP department preferably, with expertise in both software implemented and mechanical inventions;
- Expert knowledge of patent law and practice of major jurisdictions, including obtaining and defending patent rights and challenging third-party patent rights;
- With this also goes proven analytical skills and experience in making decisions, negotiating, and developing solutions or judgments within relevant IP areas. You view IP as a strategic business asset, anticipate future business and legal risks and seek creative solutions and opportunities.
As a person, you are business and service-minded, structured, detail-oriented, and have a focus on getting things done. You enjoy identifying improvement areas and embrace change and you meet deadlines and are fine to work under time pressure from time to time. You are a true team player and enjoy supporting colleagues. Because the Intellectual Property teams manage very strategic and sensitive matters, integrity is natural for you. You also must be excellent at working and writing in English.