UCB is a leading global biopharmaceutical company which is dedicated to the research, development and commercialization of innovative pharmaceutical and biotechnology products across the fields of Immunology and Neurology. Headquartered in Brussels, Belgium, UCB employs over 7600 individuals across approximately 40 countries.
Inspired by patients and driven by science, UCB’s core value is patient centricity and the constant focus on creating value for patients. One of UCB’s key R&D strengths is its combined leadership in antibody research and long-established expertise in chemistry to better understand and address the complex biological pathways and patient needs in severe diseases.
UCB is at the forefront of the battle against Crohn’s disease, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, bone loss disorders, epilepsy, Parkinson’s disease and restless legs syndrome. The company has improved the lives of hundreds of thousands of patients around the world who suffer from such diseases.
Reporting to the Associate General Patent Counsel / Gene Therapy IP Lead, the Senior Patent Counsel will be based in the company’s headquarters in Brussels, Belgium, or the key R&D site in Slough, UK. The candidate must be willing to travel between the two sites on a regular basis.
Working within UCB’s transversal team, the successful candidate will assume responsibility for all aspects of IP matters arising from development projects and technology platforms, in particular gene therapy projects. In addition to providing IP counselling and advice to the R&D scientists, legal, business and commercial teams, the appointee will also be responsible for all IP matters relating to invention harvesting, patent drafting, prosecution and enforcement, freedom-to-operate and competitive landscape analyses, patent validity, infringement matters, IP risk management, opposition and appeal cases.
The successful candidates are likely to fulfil the following profile:
- Full qualification as a Patent Attorney (including EPO, USPTO and other key jurisdictions);
- Extensive, practical knowledge and IP experience in Gene Therapy;
- Relevant experience working within an in-house IP department of a pharmaceutical or biotech company or a reputable private practice;
- Possess the commercial understanding and business acumen required to utilize IP as a business tool within UCB’s global operations;
- Be an excellent communicator, possessing strong oral and written skills;
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills together with the ability to relate easily at all levels within the organization;
- Be highly motivated and self-driven, with the ability to proactively organize a challenging workload;
- Be flexible, adaptable and comfortable working within a multicultural, high-achieving company with exacting standards of ethics and behavior;
- Be accustomed to project-management within a multi-disciplinary team environment;
- Have the ability to build effective relationships with R&D scientists, legal and business teams;
- Demonstrate strategic thinking skills;