tesa SE is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of self-adhesive products and system solutions for industrial customers and consumers. In 2001, tesa SE was formed as an independent stock corporation within the Beiersdorf Group, renowned for its leading brands such as Nivea, La Prairie and Elastoplast. Drawing upon the expertise of its 5,000 employees in 63 tesa affiliates in more than 100 countries, tesa creates innovative adhesive solutions that improve the work, lives and products.
tesa is making continued investment in research and development to find the most innovative technologies in adhesive solutions and grow extensively in the global market. The development of its IP team is therefore pivotal in helping the company protect and monetise its intellectual assets. Therefore, tesa is seeking to recruit an experienced and commercially minded Senior Patent Counsel to join the team to support the company’s growing proprietary innovation and protection activity needs.
Key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Developing and pursuing the patent strategy and generating an added value to the company by steering all patent activities;
- Steering patent portfolios globally including drafting & prosecution co-ordination;
- Freedom to operate;
- Management of opposition proceedings & supporting litigation activities;
- Participating in contract & agreement work, in particular confidentiality, license, and development agreements.
The successful candidate should fulfil the following criteria:
- Possess a Doctorate in Chemistry or a related field, preferably with sound knowledge of polymer chemistry;
- Be a fully qualified European Patent Attorney, ideally additionally qualified as a German Patent Attorney;
- Have 5 to 10 years of patent law experience, preferably gained in a corporate environment or a reputable IP law firm;
- Experience managing opposition proceedings and supporting litigation activities;
- Demonstrate qualities of diligence, approachability and confidence in interaction with research and development colleagues and others across the organisation and externally;
- Be an excellent communicator, able to actively approach and convey information to stakeholders and business partners at all management levels and across different business areas and to take over managerial responsibilities;
- Show commercial awareness and interest in tesa’s proprietary technologies and future aims;
- Willingness to improve within and react to a dynamic and changing environment;
- Possess good organisational, multi-tasking and negotiation skills, be accurate, flexible, and able to work well independently and within a small team;
- Have a proactive, solution-orientated, and independent working style, with excellent analytical skills;
- Be fluent in English and German. Chinese language skills would also be broadly beneficial, but not a pre-requisite.