Fisher & Paykel Healthcare is a leading designer, manufacturer and marketer of products and systems for use in acute and chronic respiratory care, surgery and the treatment of obstructive sleep apnea. Driven by a strong sense of purpose, the team is working to improve patient care and outcomes through inspired and world-leading healthcare solutions. The needs of their customers and their patients drive everything Fisher Paykel does. A commitment to Care by Design.
An opportunity has become available to join a dynamic and inspiring, yet friendly and informal work environment, with the potential to grow the portfolio and function significantly beyond its current scope and size. This position is cross-functional and offers overarching scope for an accomplished patent attorney to manage an IP team with the growth and development of the IP department. Based in Auckland, New Zealand – Fisher & Paykel Healthcare’s headquarters – the successful candidate will work with their team to ensure IP efforts are prioritised in accordance with the Product Group objectives.
This is a unique opportunity that allows the successful candidate to completely immerse in the assigned product-focussed groups of Fisher & Paykel Healthcare. The key responsibilities will include the following:
- Manage and ensure a highly motivated team and a high-performance;
- Establish and improve IP processes to ensure efficient and effective IP support is provided to the Product Group;
- Oversee Freedom to Operate projects and strategy to ensure standards are maintained and deadlines are met to achieve Product Group objectives;
- Oversee patent protection projects and strategy to secure and maintain appropriate protection for the Product Group;
- Support on oppositions and litigations;
- Investigate for infringement the products of key competitors and develop competitor focused patent portfolios;
- Oversee competitor patent watching for the Product Group and recommend action as appropriate;
- Liaise with external service providers to ensure service and outputs are to standard and charges are appropriate;
- Develop and refine Product Group specific IP strategies with key stakeholders;
- Educate Product Group members as appropriate on IP in general and on the processes and strategies used by FPH;
- Promote IP in FPH and provide visibility of IP activities where appropriate via reports.
This is an equal opportunity appointment. Any biased reference in the text is made merely for the sake of brevity and convenience. The successful candidate is likely to fulfil the following criteria:
- Be a fully qualified Patent Attorney admitted to practice in one of the key jurisdictions;
- Possess a technical degree in Engineering, preferably Mechanical or Mechatronics, or a degree in a relevant science;
- Possess demonstrable patent drafting experience in the Mechanical arts and/or Electrical arts;
The ideal candidates should also possess the following soft qualities:
- Strong people management and development skills, particularly relevant to IP experience;
- Proven leadership ability demonstrating excellent communication and presentation skills and a proven ability to interface with all levels of the organisation, ie: convert IP legal issues into readily understandable business issues;
- Demonstrate a commercial approach to IP, comprehending its value as a tool to service the wider-needs of the business and as a part of a broader strategy;
- Change management skills with the ability to work with the necessary detail, whilst seeing the big picture;
- A high degree of initiative and creativity, understanding of financial and business impact of intellectual property strategies
- Conflict Resolution skills with a flexible approach to problems and demands, with the ability to thrive on challenges and react quickly and positively;
- Be highly organized with a strong eye for detail and the ability to manage a challenging workload, including the prioritization of duties when required;
- Display high integrity and ethics in all dealings – internal, external, and personal.